Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ashland Oregon: The New "Athens" of a cultural renaissance?


20-24 July 2009, Ashland Oregon. This was my third annual pilgrimage to Ashland where I accompany my dear friend and colleague Dr. Stanley Krippner to enjoy theater shows at during the Shakespeare Arts Festival.
In between shows I spend time at what is regarded as one of the finest organic health-food co-ops in the country. A fresh salad and fresh food bar, excellent wine and cheese selection, fresh organic fruits some of the tastiest and most affordable ever-- a pint of organic strawberries $1.98, organic adriatic figs $2.98, dehydrated mangos $1.09 for a package. Also hard to find foods, such as raw organic cacao butter $19.00. Organic peaches that burst in your mouth.
At the co-op the people were especially friendly to talk to. I struck up conversations almost instantly at the similng people. Ran into Tavis who was living in Ashland up from Scottsdale, to Kiwina, a kava kava distributor from Hawaii who freely offered the opportunity for us to sample his beverage, during a ceremony he spontaneously arranged outside. It was probably the best I have ever had: mango kava, and put me in a euphoric state for the rest of the day.
I love how I can easily walk within minutes to virtually any part of the city, from the show, to the hotel, to the co-op, to Lithia Park.
After the co-op I would walk a few blocks to the sprawling cool green Lithia park, which cuts right into the downtown Plaza. It has miles of park literally, a central swath of cut green grass with plenty of shade trees. All within hearing distance of a tranquil bubbling creek. On that Sunday, couples, families, and kids would laze around and lay or sit down on the grass. Kids would play and laugh. Life felt so good and simple to me. I even saw three deer within a hundred feet from where I was sitting and meditating, blissing out under a tree.
Ashland is nestled in one of the wonders of the world, one of the most biodiverse, agriculturally sustainable areas on the planet. As Jean Houston once told me, at the peak of the Golden Age, Athens contained 20,000 citizens. Ashland has a similar population.
In general I find the people spiritually progressive, friendly, financially wise and culturally savvy. Many are interested in outdoor activities, farming, and creating a new sustainable future. My kind of people.
Stan has plenty of friends as well, some who live in Asland, others who drive in from other parts of Oregon to spend time with him and visit over meals.
This was the third year in a row I had the privilege of visiting Jean Houston at her home. She lives in the last property designed by the late genius Buckminster Fuller. I am almost speechless with admiration for her life's work in her presence. Recently a talented housemate Connie shares the huge home with Jean. Jean and Connie's latest project is a master's level certification program about "The Necessary Human" for the artistry of social transformation.
I have spoken and met many luminary individuals who have been influenced by Jean Houston's work. Edgar Mitchell, the lunar astronaut, mentioned attending her workshop the possible human. So did Bill Schmukler, an 82-year old psychotherapist who ran a 40-day retreat that I participated in. Apparently Deepak and Jean know each other well; I met Deepak Chopra around 1993, when as a founder of the Mind-Body Medicine Study Group I co-sponsored and promoted his appearance at Duke University.
I have also begun collaborating on a marketing joint-venture with Peter Schultz, a highly successful marketer and newsletter publisher on options trading. He has tens of thousands of paid newsletter subscribers. Recently he expanded his business model to now feature other authors and experts. For this venture he has appointed me as his expert in credit and real estate.
To kick off this project, Peter arranged to have a local internet-tv studio film him interviewing me about my products for selling your home quickly and building your credit. This studio is called DenizenTV.com

No comments:

Post a Comment