Sunday, August 9, 2009

The New Warrior Men's Training Adventure (NWTA)


June 1998 I had relocated from Durham, NC to Blue Bell, PA, a northern suburb of Philadelphia. Around September 1998, when I was getting out of my parked car at 22nd/Pine, a man pointed a gun in my face and held me hostage for several hours. I managed to escape a few hours later within inches of my life.

Naturally, I felt traumatized by the experience. A friend, Dr. Joe Klemas, of Norristown, PA, had recommended I attend the New Warrior Training Adventure (NWTA) to help me work through this experience and improve my relationships overall. After attending a preview, I accepted.

This turned out to be an intense 3-days retreat led by men and held only for men. It has its roots in the lost ritual of male initiation, a more common practice among indigenous cultures, in which men acknowledge other men's growth through a rite of passage. Also, the retreat was based loosely in Carl Jung's concept of archetypes: king, warrior, lover, and magician. This retreat was geared to help men to get in touch with these four archetypes with an intent to lead more constructive lives. The book, King, Warrior, Magician, Lover, by Robert Moore and Dougles Gillette, beautifully describes these concepts and how men can use this awareness to improve their lives.

We were also taught lessons including: accountability, integrity, and clear communicate--we discussed topics and problems that were rarely discussed among other men, including our own fathers. Men were also shown the concept of "shadow," the repressed energy that we often are not aware of, that is often acted out in a destructive manner. We were asked to keep the specific processes and protocols confidential to preserve the power of the experience for others who may experience it in the future. I left in high spirits and with improved skills and appreciation for what it means to be a man.

To follow up and incorporate these experiences, we held weekly integration groups, I-Groups, in which we practices these new skills, practiced communication, etc. I stayed with this program for several months.

I did a brief search about NWTA and came up with criticisms about the weekend. Some consider it a cult because of the confidentiality and the nature of the processes. Others found the experience to be highly traumatic because some of the processes were designed to deliberately provoke painful experiences and uncomfortable emotions. They complained that the workshop was not properly staffed by licensed psychotherapists; had the aforementioned been fully disclosed they would have had second thoughts about participating. In an especially poignant criticism, one family claims that the NWTA experience was linked to their son's suicide a week or two later; their son struggled with cocaine addiction for years prior to this experience.

Despite these criticisms, I consider the experience a beneficial one. It wasn't always easy during the retreat, but I did not consider it harmful in any way. However, any man who participates will be provoked and challenged to face his demons and shadows, which is as challenging as fighting any war. My one caution: is that if someone has any severe medical or psychological issues, to consult with a competent professional before proceeding. However, these risks are disclosed upfront prior to one's participation.

For more information: The Mankind Project

The equivalent to this experience exists for women, called The Woman Within.

No comments:

Post a Comment